I jumped into homeschool in the middle of February. I had hardly read anything, I just felt it was the right thing for Austin and the right time for me. Allan and I are SO different in the ways we learn. He likes to research, study, think and then act. I like to act, learn, read, act, read, act. I learn from hands on doing. Because of that I might appear to be running around with my head chopped off sometimes, but at least I have fun doing it!!
So hear I am. I have tried homeschooling and I know that I LOVE it!!! Brayden has decided to stay home next year, so I am for sure in for next year. So now that it's becoming more long term, I'm wanting a plan. The last week, I have been reading like crazy. I've mostly been reading a book that Cherish, my friend/sister's sister, gave me and surfing the web. The book is called "How to Create Your Own Unit Study" by Valerie Bendt. It has been so helpful and has filled me with exciting ideas. Online, I have studied about Charlotte Mason method, the homeschoolers website, and others. I decided to take the next week off of homeschooling to gather my thoughts and create our next "unit". I have decided to create our own mission statement. First I will answer these questions. . .
What prompted me to homeschool? I was tired of seeing Austin struggling in school. I could see that he had potential but at school was always behind and not able to finish assignment. He didn't stay on task. I saw how much he disliked school and could understand how frusturating it would be to be one of the slowest in the class. He is a smart boy and I wanted him to love learning. I wanted him to love to read and have the freedom to be curious and ask questions and then carry out studying about those things. I also wanted to be the one to teach him self discipline and when he was acting up, I wanted to teach him the appropriate way to handle things. I wanted to teach and guide him in everyway that would be in line with our beliefs. I felt like when he was at school all day all I got was a tired, onary, unhelpful boy. All his energy was drained during the school day for what? It didn't make sense, so I did a trial run. I now have a boy that asks to help put the dirt in our square foot garden. When it was almost full he asked me, "Do you think that's enough?" I said, "I don't know." "Well, what do you predict?", he said to me. I laughed because I have taught him about the scientfic method and that is what I usually ask him. It was so cute. He like/loves to read (it depends on the day), and he constatly asks questions that we find answers to or write down to study later. He loves to learn. I asked him for some ideas for our next unit and he said he wants to learn about what happened after Paul the Apostle died. I'm still trying to figure out what time period that would be considered. Is it the Classical Antiquity, or the Early Middle Ages. The dates are pretty undefined. If any one is brave enough to read my blog, I would love any input on what this time period would be considered.
Meier Family Learning Center
Mission Statement:
Our mission is to combine all areas of education with the study of the Book of Mormon and Bible. Connecting all history, spiritual and non-spiritual together makes it come alive and allows us to learn from the past as we plan for the future. We believe that children come with a strong desire to learn. We encourage curiosity and discovery while incorporating the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Motto Scripture:
"Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the rusurrection."
Doctrine and Covenants 130:18
That was fun comming up with those! I picked out two scriptures and then let Austin choose. He randomly chose this one, but when I looked again at both, I agreed and picked this one as well. Silly!!! Audrey is awake now and during normal school time, Brayden and Austin played quietly. They played with blocks and are now playing with cars in our rock box outside. And I did this; I feel like I got a lot accomplished!
7 years ago



2 comments:
I'm glad the book is helpful! It's neat to read about all the new discoveries you are making in your homeschool adventure. I like the idea of the mission statement, do you have it up on your wall or anything?
Oh, and yes, I think Sunday will work. I'll call you if it doesn't.
No, I forgot to put it on the wall. I'll go do that. Thanks!
Post a Comment