We went to California for a family vacation. The plan was to visit family for most of the week and play at the beach and and then go to Disneyland on Friday, Sept 23. Apparently the Lord had a different plan for us. On Thursday, Sept 22nd, we were staying with Tricia, my sister. She went to work and we were watching her daughter. We loaded our five kids in the car and their cousin. All had a car seat and was buckled and we were off to the beach. On the way, Allan looked down for a quick second and looked back up to find a car parked in the middle of the street. The light was green but he had not gone like all the other cars. Our big white and gray 12 passenger van bumped into the back of that car. Our tank of a van was only lightly damaged, but the other car had the trunk all smashed in. In our van, we had been jolted but no injuries. I, being 34 weeks pregnant, was a little concerned about my baby at first. But I didn't feel hurt and I felt the baby moving and he had the hiccups so I the worry faded fast. Once Allan knew we were all ok, he jumped out of the van to check on the other car. The man was 76 and dazed and confused. Another car pulled over to help as well. She had seen the accident and was an EMT and helped talk to the man until the ambulance arrived. I called 911 and when the EMTs came and asessed the older man, they put him in the ambulance. There was no obvious injuries, but he shaken up and confused. After that, one of the EMT's came to me and asked if I was OK.
"Do you want me to check you," the EMT asked?
I thought, check me? what exactly are you going to check here on the side of the road? I felt fine so I said, "No I am ok. The seat belt barely went into me and I feel the baby moving so I'm ok. Thanks."
The EMTs left and we were finishing up talking to the policeman when I felt my first contraction. It was like a braxton hick but with pressure in the pelvis. I had said to Allan two times that morning, that I was not sure how I was going to walk around Disneyland the next day cause I was feeling a lot of pressure in my pelvis. When I felt this contraction I was in denial. It happened two times while the policeman was talking to Allan. After the police left, Allan and I decided to go to the beach anyway and not let the accident ruin our day. So we went. I called my dr and talked to the nurse and she advised to go to the emergency room right away. I figured she was saying that just to cover herself so I wouldn't sue her if something bad happened. I was still in denial that there was no way I could have this baby 6 weeks early and convinced myself that my body was in shock and the contractions would stop if I just relaxed. But they continued about every 5 min while we were there and it was getting harder to walk and talk through them. The kids got hungry so we went back to Tricia's to eat lunch. As I was making lunch the contractions got evan stronger and I was bracing myself on the counter. I told Allan I needed to lay down and they would probably stop if I just relaxed. Allan took over lunch and I layed down. I timed them and wrote down each one. They were happening about 3-10 min apart and were not stopping. I was getting scared and worrried. I talked to Leanne on the phone and she advised me to just go to the emergency room for peace of mind. Tricia was home from work by this time so she kindly offered to watch the kids and Allan and I took her van to the hospital since our van needed some slight repairs. We drove to Tri City Hospital in Oceanside, CA at around 5pm, five hours after the accident. The emergency room put me in a wheel chair and wheeled me up to Labor and Delivery. I waited in that waiting room for about another hour. I was having pretty intense contractions but no one knew except Allan and I. I learned the hypnobirthing method and had Brayden, Breanna and Audrey natural, using that. I have trained my body to relax through the contractions. The more intense it gets, the more I relax. So to the outsider I look like I'm peacefully taking a nap but inside I am waging a battle of wills to get my body to relax and take deep slow breaths. I finally got into a delivery room to be checked 6 hours after the accident occured. The nurse hooked me up to moniters and could see that I was having contractions. That was very validating because I still had doubts that maybe I was just having a lot of braxton hicks and I was just being wimpy. That fear came from when I was pregnant with Audrey and Gavin. Allan and I made many false alarm runs to labor and delivery. Meanwhile, Allan is texting everyone and thier dog. I had made a few comments like, "just don't tell anyone until we know what's happening for sure. I don't want to worry about answering people's questions." Or "can you just put the phone down please and pay attention to me?" Then my requests grew more intense, "Put that phone down or I'm gonna throw it out the window".
"Why the window," was his response.
"Never mind I'm gonna throw it at your head instead."
I asked the nurse if anyone had ever thrown and broken a phone in delivery and she said yes.
Allan and I were both in shock and denial. With the other 5 kids, he had been right there supporting me through labor but he was acting different this time. I was having a hard time relaxing because I was scared for the baby and I hadn't practiced my hypnobirthing at all this pregnancy. I love Allan with all my heart. I can totally appreciate that he was freaking out as well and was looking for support from his family.
The nurse then gave me a shot to stop the contractions and I felt relieved that I could just go home and go to Disneyland the next day. Ha, ha. After she gave me the shot, she checked me. She got a look of shock on her face as she told me I was dialated to a 6!
"What," I said, "can you undialate me?"
Of coarse she couldn't, I knew that but was still hoping for a way for this baby to not be born 6 weeks early. The doctor sent another nurse to check me as well to verify and indeed, I was at a 6. She was in shock as well. They said I looked so calm they figured there was no way I was dialating. I started shaking like a leaf and my teeth were chattering like I was freezing cold. Allan texted his family and told them I was having the baby that night. Both Jme and Kristi didn't believe him at first, which was funny. I didn't believe it either and I was experiencing it. The nurse that checked me second was named Charmin. I ended up bonding with her. She stayed later than her shift to see me through this. She could see I was shaking and crying and she helped to calm me down. She was a total sweet heart. She also warned me that this doctor can get kind of intense but everyone was going to try to remain calm. I didn't know what she quite meant, but I soon found out. The doctor rushed in and announced that he would try to help me deliver normally and if that didn't work he would do the c-section. That was shock number 2. I was way struggling to relax through my contractions and now he was going to have me deliver naturally? I thought it was cool and crazy at the same time. The nurse was surprised as well. Delivering normally is unheard of after 2 c-sections! So they wheeled my bed into the surgery room so they would already be there in case they needed to do the c-section. They transfered me to the hard and skinny surgery table and then the doctor ordered for Charmin to put my legs in the stirrups. These were not pap spear stirrups, these were about hip level, thick metal and 3 feet above me. They had slings that held my ankles and were rediculous looking. When I saw them I started to laugh.
"Is he seriously expecting me to put my feet in those," I asked my new friend, Charmin? To the doctor I told him, "with the last 2 babies that I delivered naturally, I did it on my hand and knees. Can I do that?"
He looked at me like I was crazy and answered, "no". So they straped my feet in and the Dr. asked me to push. I did a few good pushes and the baby was making progress. My water needed to break so he did that and then the baby went back up and I think he turned the wrong way. The Dr. then said, "ok we're takin' this baby c-section and we have 5 min. Everyone was scrambling to get the tools ready. The anethstesiologist was ready to put me out and asked the Dr. a couple times if he was ready. The Dr. kept saying," no don't put her out yet. Hold on." They had put up a curtain so I couldn't see what was going on, but it felt like they were getting the knives ready and I felt something on my tummy and I was mortified feeling like the Dr. was going to start cutting before I got put out. I just was done and wanted to be put out. I just kept thinking, "Please don't cut till I'm asleep!" Then the Dr. finally said "I'm ready" and that was the last I remember.
When I woke up the nurse told me the baby was out. Soon after, Allan was asking me if I thought him and the kids should still go to Disneyland the next day. I said yes. Allan asked if I could call Jaime, my sister and ask if her brother in law could still help us get in. I did, but it ended up that it would not work after all. But she was so sweet and had arranged her day so she could come to Tricia's house and watch the kids so Allan could be at the hospital with me.
The next morning, I wanted to see my baby so so bad but I was being told that I couldn't go yet for some reason. I got way emotional (post pregnancy hormones and morphine is a bad combo!) I started crying so hard that I was wailing loudly. Anyone that walked in got a surprised look on their face asked me what was wrong. Their compassion and concern increased my tears and I just kept telling everyone I wanted to see my baby. Eventually the Dr. came in and heard my grief and consented for me to go up to the NICU and see my baby. I was so happy! Allan got to the hopital soon after and was able to wheel me up with my catheter. The nurse in the NICU said she was surprised to see me so soon. I was filled with happiness seeing my baby for the first time. Landon Christopher Meier, 4 lbs 14 oz, 18 inches long. I wanted to hold him all day but the nurse could see how tired I was. I held him for a while and then she suggested I go get some sleep and come back again later. I was super happy and felt like I could nap now that I had seen and held him. The next two days are a bit of a blurr, being on morphine but I do know I quickly got on a schedule of seeing my little Landon every chance I got. I would sleep at night, pump, eat brakefast, walk to the NICU, hold Landon, walk back to my room, nap, pump, eat lunch, walk to the NICU, hold Landon, walk back to my room, nap, pump, eat dinner, walk to the NICU, hold Landon, walk back to my room, sleep all night. The first day, the nurse wheeled me up but after that I started walking. It was kinda far. I had to go down 2 halls, up an elevator and down another hall. At first I went extremely slow, but everyday I got faster and I was so amazed that I had the energy to keep up the schedule. When I would visit Landon I would tell him how he was so strong, he was a good eater, the Lord loved him, his family loved him, he would grow fast and we would be leaving on Saturday October 1st. I would visualize and discribe to him what it would be like when we got home. Most of all I prayed a lot and I felt the strength of my ward and family and friends all praying for us.
On Sunday, after Landon was born, Allan handed off Gavin to Grandma Leanne who was heading back to Arizona. He then took the 4 oldest and flew back to Utah where some of my angel friends were willing to house my children for however long till Landon could come home. They each went to a different house. I am so very grateful to these friends! I love belonging to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints! It is such a blessing that I can be so close to so many people in my same neighborhood and share the same values with them. The nurses in the hospital in CA were absolutely amazed that I would have 4 families that i trusted and felt close enough to to have watch my children. And it's amazing cause there are many more I could have called. We have an amazing neighborhood and ward and church!
After I got out of the hospital I kept pretty much the same schedule except I slept at Tricia's house. While I was on pain meds she drove me to and from the hospital each day, and the last two days I was able to drive myself. I would just stay at the hospital all day everyday. It was such a blessing to stay with Tricia. We don't get to spend a lot of time together since we live in different states and I have never spent a lot of time with Phoebe. It was such a joy to be with my sister and her family! I loved listening to Phoebe play the piano each morning and when she heard me up she would give me hugs and say, "Good morning Auntie Susan". Sometimes I would cry because it made me so happy to be with her since a missed mine so much. (Of course I cried about almost everything at that time, lol).
The Doctor over the NICU said Landon needed to pass 3 tests. 1; to sit in his car seat for 2 hours and not have his stats go down. 2; after his feeding tube came out on Friday night, he needed to eat at least 42 ml every 3 hours for 24 hours. It could be a little flexible, but even out to that. 3; after passing the feeding test he had to pass a sleep study and keep his stats up of 10 hours straight. He ate well on Saturday but then on Saturday night, he had two feedings that he only ate 30 ml and was too sleepy for more. When i came on Sunday morning the nurse told me that the Dr wants to watch Landon for a few more days and let him get stronger. So I figured we would be there till Wednesday at least. Than later, the other Doctor came on shift. His name was Dr. Moheivdian or something. He was a good good doctor. You could tell he was highly respected. He said that Landon did so so good on some of his feedings during the day that he was ok and considered him passed on that test. Landon also passed the car seat test on Friday so Dr. Moheivdian said my baby could have the sleep study that night. If he passed, we would go home on Monday!! I was so surprised and so were the nurses.
On October 3rd, we got to bring our little angel home. Monday morning, at 11am, Dr Moheivdian said, "Yep, he passed. He is a super star. I do not worry about him one bit." It was so cute! I spent that day getting things ready to go and doing my scrapbook page for their book in the NICU. I was almost sad to go; I had grown so close to the staff! But I was so excited to take my baby home and see my other children and just do normal life again! Allan and Austin flew down to San Diego Airport at 10pm that night. I picked them up and we left the next morning for Utah and spent that whole day driving. The next evening, our family was all back together again except Gavin. It was so nice to be home! It took some adjusting but I feel even more thankful and patient with my kids after being away from them so long. On Saturday, Allan and Austin flew down to Tuscan and picked up Gavin and that night all of us were together again. It was like an explosion of emotion for all of us but we were all happy to be home. Thank you to everyone for your service and prayers. What an adventure that was!!!
My baby and I!
His cheeks are SO soft!
The baby burrito, baby bundle, baby origami. What ever you call it, it's great!
Ahhh, daddy and Landon. Daddy come down to visit me on Tuesday and again on Friday. He was so sweet trying to help everyone but feeling torn between being with the other kids, me or working. He did a great job spreding himself out. I love him lots!!!
Tricia and Landon
"Hmmm, how can i get out of here the fastest?"
Jaime came and visited me both Sundays we were there. It was fun! I love having sisters!!!
Austin's first time holding Landon. He was so so excited to go with Allan to CA and see Landon.
Landon modeling one of the cute onsies that Jaime got him. It says, "Made you smile". Super cute!
Landon is not strong enough to strictly nurse so I nurse some and pump and bottle feed the rest.
Biggest Brother and Littlest Brother. . .
Sheila came and cleaned up the house before we came home. Allan had warned me that he hadn't had time to clean it and I started crying so when Sheila offered to come clean, I cried again. It was so nice!
Breanna's first time holding Landon.
Grandpa Don and Grandma Susan. Grandma Susan came one day and helped me clean and made us delicious potato soup. I am so blessed to have such a great support system! Thank you!
A happy reunion of Mommy and Gavin. Gavin was awe struck with Landon.
Gavin wanted to hold the baby but then took this postion. He was not sure what to think at first of this little bundle.
Gavin got happier and warmed up to the baby when we took the blanket off and showed him the bundle actually had a little body. Gavin and Grandma Leanna had watched the video of Landon about 50 times. He was probably confused when the baby looked different all bundled. lol



6 comments:
What an adventure!! And I bet it felt so awesome to have it all written down!
It was fun reading the story! I especially liked the cell phone part during labor!
What a precious family you have!
Thanks for sharing your adventure. I love the detail & the photos. Baby Landon is so precious. It is such a blessing to be a mother! You have a beautiful family! This is my blog address. I'm not very consistent with my posts, but I enjoy it. http://danandsharanepitts.blogspot.com/
I'm glad you took time to write this all down! I knew the basics from Jaime but it's neat to hear all the details. A lot of my friends were praying for you and Landon too, and were glad to hear everything was okay.
WOW! I haven't looked at my blog forever, so I have not read anyone elses. I didn't even know you had a 5th child, and now you had a
6th! WOW! That story was insane. Glad it all turned out wonderful! Love the name Landon! My youngest is Jake Landon. It was going to be Landon til last minute, but atleast its his middle name! Congrats!!!
fun to have brenna in bed getting her naked, show her how to make a baby mmmmmm sooooooo tight
Post a Comment